Collaboration Space + Offices

Originally designed in the 1930’s as the Agriculture Library for Virginia Tech, the fourth floor of Hutcheson Hall was converted into numerous graduate student carrels in the early 1970’s. The current tenant of the spaces, the Statistics Department, requested a complete renovation to include student collaboration and computer areas, faculty offices, GA offices, and various meeting rooms. The 1930’s building presented several structural challenges due to unusual original construction methods the most peculiar being the original book stacks also serving as the roof structure supports and decking.